A Link to the Old West

Elk Creek Ranch was purchased by a group of Utah investors and settled by Ernest Uden who homesteaded the property at the close of the 19th century. When Ernest died unexpectedly in 1906, the Salt Lake City investors who had backed him found they were without proof of their investment. Consequently, all deeds and legal papers went to Uden's next of kin, his brother, George Uden. George took over the property and ran a very successful cattle operation. The ranch also served as a stagecoach stop and provided overnight accommodations for tourists bound for Yellowstone Park.


THE RIGBY CABIN - c. 1945

In 1935, when George Uden died, his estate, including the Ranch, was tied up in legal proceedings until 1937 when it was sold to Sam Trude. Trude sold the Ranch in 1938 to Dr. Harlo B. Rigby, a Rexburg, Idaho physician and cattle rancher. Under the management of Vern and Ann Zollinger, Dr. Rigby augmented the cattle operation by developing a guest ranch business. Success came quickly as Vern's horsemanship and Ann's delicious home-style cooking drew visitors to the serene private lake, stocked with succulent trout, and the relaxing atmosphere of guided trail rides. In 1953, Dr. Rigby sold Elk Creek Ranch to the Zollingers and the family continues the tradition of Western hospitality to this day. Presently the Zollinger's children - Gordon, Boyd, Brent and VeAnn operate the ranch.

 

 

              Accomodations            Activities           History           Links           Contact Us             Home  
 
Copyright Elk Creek Ranch 2005 - All rights reserved.
 
                Elk Creek Home Page